William Sanderson. Law degree from Memphis St.
- 49 BC – Julius Caesar crosses the Rubicon, signalling the start of civil war.
- 1645 – Archbishop William Laud is beheaded at the Tower of London.
- 1776 – Thomas Paine publishes his pamphlet Common Sense.
- 1812 – The first steamboat on the Ohio River or the Mississippi River arrives in New Orleans, 82 days after departing from Pittsburgh.
- 1863 – The Metropolitan Railway, the world’s oldest underground railway, opens between Paddington and Farringdon, marking the beginning of the London Underground.
- 1901 – The first great Texas oil gusher is discovered at Spindletop in Beaumont, Texas.
- 1920 – The Treaty of Versailles takes effect, officially ending World War I.
- 1927 – Fritz Lang’s futuristic film Metropolis is released in Germany.
- 1946 – The United States Army Signal Corps successfully conducts Project Diana, bouncing radio waves off the Moon and receiving the reflected signals.
- 1990 – Time Warner is formed by the merger of Time Inc. and Warner Communications.
- 1843 – Frank James, American soldier and criminal (d. 1915)
- 1919 – Milton Parker, American businessman, co-founded the Carnegie Deli (d. 2009)
- 1939 – Sal Mineo, American actor (d. 1976)
- 1940 – Walter Hill, American director, producer, and screenwriter
- 1945 – Rod Stewart, English singer-songwriter
- 1946 – Aynsley Dunbar, English drummer and songwriter
- 1947 – George Alec Effinger, American author (d. 2002)
- 1949 – Linda Lovelace, American porn actress and activist (d. 2002)
- 1953 – Pat Benatar, American singer-songwriter
- 1961 – Janet Jones, American actress